We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Support for path longer than 1024 characters

fatso83
05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
If you choose an id-system that is limiting what objects might be stored, than you have made a poor choice ... You can do better than that. Path length is an implementation detail. You can still change this, while keeping backwards compatibility.

marwerno
04-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by jrouquie
Please count me as also wishing this to be fixed (AKA "+1", since this forum has no upvote).
This limitation should be documented on https://hubic.com/en/limits (next to max filename and max folder name length).
For now I'm considering subscribing to another provider instead of hubic.
Best regards.
Me: also +1

Note: Microsoft cloud is even worse: Path length limit of 255.... like in the good old DOS days...

jrouquie
04-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Please count me as also wishing this to be fixed (AKA "+1", since this forum has no upvote).
This limitation should be documented on https://hubic.com/en/limits (next to max filename and max folder name length).
For now I'm considering subscribing to another provider instead of hubic.
Best regards.

matthieuw
11-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Hello,

OK I understand, but since max paths on OS are potentially (a lot) larger, I think it is worth supporting more than 1024 characters. For instance by naming objets with a radom unique ID, and maintaining a catalog database for the ID <=> real path name mapping, database also uploaded on hubic ? Apparently this is what Synology seems to do for Glacier backup.

Thanks for your help

Matthieu

vcasse
11-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi matthieuw,

This is a technical limitation due to usage of HTTP protocol. We choose this protocol to ensure to be accessible from a lot of networks all around the world.
But HTTP have a limitation to 1024 characters.

Regards,
Vincent

matthieuw
11-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Hello,

Apparently the backup functionality has a limitation of 1024 characters for object names. As a consequence the maximum path lenght is limited to a little bit less than 1024 characters.
Actually the maximum path lenght in Linux is 4096, and 32768 on Windows. And with encrypted shares on Linux path names tend to be very long (the limit is reached with about 10-12 levels of subfolders).

So in short, I would like this 1024 character path lenght limitation to be increased a lot, to a value more in accordance with modern OS limits.

Thanks for your help

Matthieu