We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Swift Explorer, an open source user-friendly files browser for hubiC

SPU
08-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Hi Roikku,
am trying to run swift explorer...it seems to work but the text of pull-down menus, etc is too small for me to be able to use it. Is there a fix for this?
I am using computer microsoft surface pro 4 windows 10 pro, x64 system.

Thanks,
SPU

takagari
12-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Without the ability to delete/organize folders or files within a backup. this app is pretty much useless.
I'd be willing to donate for a working program that would allow us to manage our backups internally!!

takagari
12-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Really wish this program worked better, even for managing. I'd love to be able to download a single large file from within a backup. with something aside from the useless web download. as it crashes and wont resume.

Jinx13
12-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Quote Originally Posted by markrich
Doesn't work for me with Ubuntu 14.04.

markrich@markys-home-pc:/opt/swiftexplorer$ java -jar SwiftExplorer-1.0.6-jar-with-dependencies.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/swiftexplorer/SwiftExplorer : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java :800)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Secure ClassLoader.java:142)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader .java:449)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader. java:71)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 361)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java: 355)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.j ava:354)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:4 25)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launche r.java:308)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:3 58)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Launc herHelper.java:482)
markrich@markys-home-pc:/opt/swiftexplorer$
Hello, I am getting this same problem

Ok issue solved for Ubuntu now how about some support?

I have a >30GB file I tried with a windows computer and the progress just stops. No error nothing the furthest I got was 79%

Last night I put it on again from Ubuntu totally different machine. Again stopped but at 17GB

I want to get all my files off Hubic and close my account as I am not happy but I cannot get them.

takagari
12-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Also, when I try to delete folder's and access other's I get an error
unable to execute http call or convert http response.

Not sure why?

takagari
12-13-2014, 06:14 PM
It's installed on a 100mbit seedbox, so yes, a bit was being used, but no where near all of it.

roikku
11-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Quote Originally Posted by takagari
I tried this software, and it broke a 45GB file into roughly 450 parts. in 2 hours it uploaded 3...
Hi takagari,

I will take a look. I am aware of some possible performance issues when uploading segmented files. However, two hours for 300Mb sounds really slow. Are you sure that no other applications were using the network?

roikku

takagari
11-27-2014, 01:16 AM
Just tried this..
The regular uploader I get between 3-6MB/sec
I tried this software, and it broke a 45GB file into roughly 450 parts. in 2 hours it uploaded 3...

Why so slow? is this a normal flaw or something I did wrong?

Installed to a windows server 2011 OVH box...

roikku
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Quote Originally Posted by vdbosch1
At this moment not really useful since it is crashing all the time (if you want to upload a big quantity of data).
Hi Rob,

see related issue at https://github.com/roikku/swift-explorer/issues/39.

Cheers,
roikku

vdbosch1
09-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi,

When will there come a stable version.
At this moment not really useful since it is crashing all the time (if you want to upload a big quantity of data).

Regards,

Rob

roikku
08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jobarte
This project have bug tracker or issues?
Yep! Here: github.com/roikku/swift-explorer/issues

Cheers,
roikku

jobarte
08-08-2014, 01:48 AM
Hi guys,

This project have bug tracker or issues?

jobarte
07-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for this application, works very fine here and is a great solution to users that don't need sync apps.

deven
07-18-2014, 02:08 AM
Quote Originally Posted by deven
Hi

Looks like the keystone auth is not working. My keystone auth url has something like this
https://keystone.xxx.xxx:50000/v2.0/

Gives error
'Login Failed, Command exception, HTTP Status code: 400 => UNKNOWN

Is this supported?

Thanks
It works fine, the url should be :5000/v2.0/tokens

deven
07-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi

Looks like the keystone auth is not working. My keystone auth url has something like this
https://keystone.xxx.xxx:50000/v2.0/

Gives error
'Login Failed, Command exception, HTTP Status code: 400 => UNKNOWN

Is this supported?

Thanks

deven
07-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Quote Originally Posted by markrich

markrich@markys-home-pc:/opt/swiftexplorer$ java -jar SwiftExplorer-1.0.6-jar-with-dependencies.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/swiftexplorer/SwiftExplorer : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
Got the same error, upgrade to openjdk-1.8.0 and the error was jfxrt.jar not found.
Only managed to get work after installing Oracle Java 8

markrich
06-17-2014, 02:30 PM

deca66
06-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK
I download it and try it right now! Thanks for the informations roikku
Installed also and tested. It works fine. Thanks.

ChrisK
06-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by roikku
Guys,

Just to let you know that a new version of Swift Explorer (1.0.6) has just been released (see the release note). It can be downloaded right now.

Cheers,
roikku
I download it and try it right now! Thanks for the informations roikku

roikku
06-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Guys,

Just to let you know that a new version of Swift Explorer (1.0.6) has just been released (see the release note). It can be downloaded right now.

Cheers,
roikku

deca66
06-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Many thanks Roikku. Excellent to begin my nights (no, I'm kidding you...).

roikku
06-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Hi deca66,

Quote Originally Posted by deca66
I tried various searches to understand the concepts underneath, but it's hard finding general documentation. Could you advise please ?
I guess your best bet is to skim through the official documentation: http://docs.openstack.org/api/openst...e/1.0/content/

The OpenStack Object Storage (SWIFT), is conceptually very similar to Amazon S3 or Google Cloud Storage. Basically, "containers" in OpenStack are roughly equivalent to "buckets" in the two other systems; the meaning of "objects" is shared between the three systems.

Bear in mind that OpenStack is not limited to its object storage components...

Cheers,
roikku

deca66
05-30-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks a lot roikku. I'm new to openstack, though I'm quite OK on computer domain...I tried various searches to understand the concepts underneath, but it's hard finding general documentation. Could you advise please ? Thanks.

roikku
05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi deca66,

Quote Originally Posted by deca66
Could someone explain what are the differences between private and public container ?
If the container is set to be public, then everybody should have read access (i.e., should be able to access the files within the container using a browser). The official documentation on this subject (http://docs.openstack.org/api/openst...data-acls.html) states:

The side effect of giving anybody read access is that any object in the container is now accessible from a browser simply by entering the X-Storage-URL used throughout the session and append the object name. For example:

https://storage.swiftdrive.com/v1/CF...rry/cereal.jpg

would be the URL of an object named "cereal.jpg" in the container "jerry" that has been made publicly accessible using this method.
(Note: In detail, public means that the metadata X-Container-Read is set with .r:*).

Cheers,
roikku

deca66
05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi,

Could someone explain what are the differences between private and public container ?

Thanks

Rey
05-29-2014, 01:00 AM
I've just tested it (win x86 install), just some browsing (very fast!) and uploads, it worked great. No crash, no slowdown.
Thank you for your work.

roikku
05-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Rey
I used -Xms1G -Xmx1G options and java.exe process now consumes 720Mo. It seems to work, and now I've a progress bar when refreshing containers! (I had none with windows x86 version)
720Mo seems huge to me, for 1.22To used on hubic. What if I fill my 10To account? My 4Go RAM won't be enough (and shouldn't be filled by a file transfert program!). This should be a major enhancement I think.
Hi Rey,

Just a brief note to let you know that this problem should now be fixed in the version 1.0.5 (just released, see the release notes). The latest version can be downloaded at www.swiftexplorer.org.

Cheers,
roikku

roikku
05-18-2014, 02:25 AM
Hi Rey,

Thanks for the feedbacks.

720Mo seems huge to me, for 1.22To used on hubic. What if I fill my 10To account? My 4Go RAM won't be enough (and shouldn't be filled by a file transfert program!). This should be a major enhancement I think.
The memory used by the application does not directly depends on the volume of data remotely stored, but on the number of files. The application fetches basics information of each file, such as name, size, type and so on. Currently the application caches those information.

One optimisation that might be of relevance is to not fetch those information for all the files in the selected container from the outset, but only on-demand as the tree structure is expended. Such an approach might obviously improve performances as well (I mean, other than memory consumption).

However, if the user fully expands the tree, then the situation (in terms of memory consumption) becomes the same as without the optimisation.

Moreover, if the user put all his/her files "directly" in the container (without pseudo-directories structure), then this kind of optimisations become pointless.

But it seems reasonable to assume that in general users rely on pseudo-directories to structure their data and they do not fully expand the tree, therefore the optimisation may worth to be implemented. It is actually already on my list of todo

Remark: In my view, it is important to use containers. They add an independent level of hierarchy. It is definitely not a good idea to put all your files in only one container. The default container should be reserved for stuffs that need to be synchronised over several devices; and thus, in general it should remain rather small in both, number of files and size. Especially, I guess that large files usually consist of multimedia files (e.g., movies) and/or back-up images (e.g., virtual machines) and the like. Such files do not need to be accessed via a mobile devices (even musics or movies, for hubiC does not currently offer the possibility to stream them - see https://hubic.com/en/ios-application).

If your 10 TB of data are adequately distributed across containers, then the number of files per container may in general remain acceptably low to not overwhelm the client application when listing the whole container.

- file transfert queue, to keep browsing while downloading.
Indeed, it might be of interest for some users; and might eventually be implemented.

- file transfert resuming, usefull for big files on slow connection (hope it is possible!)
This is already there for the upload (modulo the segment size, which is set by default at 100 MB, and which should never be changed!). It means that in the worst case you have to re-upload only the "segment size of data". See the third point in the FAQ: http://www.swiftexplorer.org/faq.html

- file size display (is it possible for segmented files?)
Swift Explorer already shows the size of files, even large files. However, it appears that the hubiC's clients may not show the size (see some related discussion here: https://github.com/roikku/swift-explorer/issues/13). I will test if Swift Explorer shows the size of large files uploaded using an hubiC's client. If it does not, it is quite easy to implement a function that calculates the size (by reading the manifest, and iterating through all the segments to sum their sizes... All segments should have the same size, except the last one that can potentially be smaller, so some optimisations might be done here).

- transfert speed display!
Estimation of the remaining time and average speed can be useful information (although, most OS provide utility tools that can monitor the data transfer from processes). Anyway, such function might eventually be implemented

Cheers,
roikku

Rey
05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
I used -Xms1G -Xmx1G options and java.exe process now consumes 720Mo. It seems to work, and now I've a progress bar when refreshing containers! (I had none with windows x86 version)

Some other enhancements I would like to see:
- file transfert queue, to keep browsing while downloading.
- file transfert resuming, usefull for big files on slow connection (hope it is possible!)
- file size display (is it possible for segmented files?)
- transfert speed display!

I've successfully downloaded a 4.3Go file, uploaded by hubic sync. Now I'll try to upload another big file to see if hubic sync can download it.

Edit: during download/upload, memory usage drop from 720Mo to 660Mo. I suppose the difference has been "garbage collected". The minimal usage of RAM is still pretty big.
re-edit: it worked!! uploaded by swift explorer & downloaded by hubic sync! and vice versa.

roikku
05-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Hi Rey,

Thank you for reporting this problem. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing such troubles.

Indeed, your analyse is very plausible. From the description it sounds as if an OutOfMemory error is thrown.

* If you have a great deal of files, I recommend you to allocate the maximum amount of memory you can. For that, you need to directly use the jar file, and execute it using the console.

It is quite probable that, by default, the JVM attempts to allocate one fourth of the total physical memory.

I do believe that in terms of user experience this is terrible. I will improve the error reporting function, so that if an OutOfMemory error occurs, then, at least, the user knows what is going on. I have created a new issue: https://github.com/roikku/swift-explorer/issues/15

* Note that it might be useful to zip or use a disk image to aggregate a large amount of small files. This can be a solution if you do not need those files so often (e.g., it may be adequate for backups).

* Another alternative would be to use containers. If your set of files can be conveniently split into several containers, then the required amount of memory by the application would be reduced.

* Regarding potential optimisations to decrease the amount of required memory, I have started working on it (e.g., using some sort of pagination). But it might be not that straightforward to implement for certain operations

Cheers,
roikku

Rey
05-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Hi @roikku,

I've been testing v1.0.3 today. During main container listing, just after logging, app seems to crash --> http://i.imgur.com/suWrGZB.jpg
Seems like not enough memory. Process takes up to 370Mo, something like that in windows task manager. Maybe JVM MaxPermSize is too low, maybe should I test the jar and other jvm values instead of windows compiled exe. But the point is, this takes too much memory.
My account has 1.5Go of files in it, but a lot of small files (projects with thounsand of files for instance). Maybe it's the problem.

Anyway, your work is great and I really appreciate it !

roikku
05-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Quote Originally Posted by pawcio.g
Do I understand correctly, when I create new container, I will be only able to access it using Swift Explorer, it will not be available through hubic.com interface?

Indeed, the interface at hubic.com does not offer the possibility to browse any other container than the default container.

However, containers are a feature of OpenStack, and therefore should be supported by many OpenStack clients. The difficulty in using existing clients come from the authentication mechanism. The Oauth2 mechanism, uses by hubiC, and the Keystone mechanism, which is the default OpenStack authentication mechanism (http://docs.openstack.org/developer/keystone/), differ. Therefore, in order to use other Swift clients, an "adapter" application needs to be developed (i.e., an application which sort of translates the keystone api to the hubiC's Oauth2 api). What differentiates Swift Explorer from other clients is that it "natively" supports the hubiC authentication mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by pawcio.g
Would it be possible to add option to upload multiple directories (I can only upload one by one, unless there is an option to upload multiple which I do not see?)

I guess it could be implemented. But what do you mean by "multiple directories"? Do you mean the possibility to select several directories in the directory selection dialog, and those directories are then uploaded under the same directory in hubiC? Or do you mean the possibility to create a queue of directories to be uploaded in potentially different directories in hubiC?

pawcio.g
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
I would suggest you to create new containers. If you have several computers, you could, for example, create one dedicated container per computer (e.g., "mac_pro_2009", "mac_mini_2012", ...). Alternatively, you could create one container per "type of data" (e.g., "Music", "Videos", "iTunes", "Pictures" ...).
Do I understand correctly, when I create new container, I will be only able to access it using Swift Explorer, it will not be available through hubic.com interface?

Would it be possible to add option to upload multiple directories (I can only upload one by one, unless there is an option to upload multiple which I do not see?)

roikku
04-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Hi Everybody,

Just a brief note, to let you know that a new version (1.0.3) of Swift Explorer has been released earlier today. It can be downloaded here.

Since the gist of this new version mostly consists of bug fixes (see the release notes), I strongly recommend to use it over the previous versions.

Cheers,
roikku

roikku
04-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Compass
So with this I can upload the files and them delete them off of my computer?
Yes.

Basically, you can use this app to manage a large amount of "static" data as depicted in this image (the purple stuff in the big storage).

I would suggest you to create new containers. If you have several computers, you could, for example, create one dedicated container per computer (e.g., "mac_pro_2009", "mac_mini_2012", ...). Alternatively, you could create one container per "type of data" (e.g., "Music", "Videos", "iTunes", "Pictures" ...).

In my view, the default container (i.e., the one named "default") should be kept for synchronising data between devices (the red stuffs in the image linked above).

Cheers,
roikku

Compass
04-25-2014, 12:31 AM
So with this I can upload the files and them delete them off of my computer?

roikku
04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Hi Rey,

Thanks for the feedback. It is quite useful for me to decide the next steps

- 5Go file download failed after 1,64Go, no error message, progress bar just disappeared
Are you sure that the download failed? The progress bar dialog can be closed/opened using the last button (i.e., the one located at the most-right side) of the toolbar, that has an icon depicting (or attempting to depict) a progress bar. This button is currently the only one on the toolbar that is enable during SWIFT-related operations. Could it be possible that you inadvertently close the dialog?

- is there any log ?
No, but it is something that needs to be added (probably in the next version).

- When I download, I've to select a directory AND a filename. Why not proposing the original file name by default?
Oh! Yes I have observed that on Windows-based machines... On the Mac, the file name is proposed by default, as expected. This issue must be addressed (probably in the next version).

- Progress bar should be present permanently, to know what's happening.
The dialog can be reopened (see first comment above).

- gui is stuck when downloading, can do anything else. Parallel tasks and/or download queue whould be great.
This is definitely something that needs to be considered.

- no drag & drop!
Unfortunately, no. This could indeed improve the user-experience. No promise for the next version, but eventually should be implemented (hopefully soon).

- haven't seen any move command
This would be very nice and of great significance. A way to achieve this is a copy followed by a delete of the object to move (as suggested here: http://docs.openstack.org/api/openst...py-object.html). No promise for the next version, but eventually should be implemented (hopefully soon).

- Haven't seen awt/swing for a while, still so ugly ^^ but still better than command line app!
I am not sure I can do much about that

More feedback soon.
Waiting forward to it.

Meanwhile, I will add those items in the GitHub issue tracker (except the last one about the aesthetic of Swing ).

Cheers,
roikku

Rey
04-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Good, win x86 installer available now! Java 8 is embedded, isn't it?

I'm doing some tests.
- 5Go file download failed after 1,64Go, no error message, progress bar just disappeared
- is there any log ?
- When I download, I've to select a directory AND a filename. Why not proposing the original file name by default?
- Progress bar should be present permanently, to know what's happening.
- gui is stuck when downloading, can do anything else. Parallel tasks and/or download queue whould be great.
- no drag & drop!
- haven't seen any move command
- Haven't seen awt/swing for a while, still so ugly ^^ but still better than command line app!

More feedback soon.

roikku
04-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Hi Everybody,

just a brief note to let you know that a new version (1.0.2) of Swift Explorer has been released. It can be downloaded at www.swiftexplorer.org.
The release notes can be found here.

Should you require any additional features, please fell free to use the dedicated GitHub issue tracker

Cheers,
roikku

nanouk
04-03-2014, 11:04 PM
... Right? Bear in mind that a server listening on localhost:9000 is started just before opening the login windows, and then shut down as soon as the authentication is over (either succeeded, cancelled or failed). Would it be possible that another application causes some sort of conflicts?

roikku
That was the cause, had another webapp listening on port 9000. Works now. Thanks a lot. Keep up the good work. Will test now.
Cheers.

roikku
04-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Hi nanouk,

In the Ubuntu version, could you confirm that when you type "java -version" in the console, the response is java version "1.8.0". It might be plausible that another anterior JRE is installed and is listed first on the path.

If it works using the virtual machine, I assume that there are no proxy and no firewall issues... Right? Bear in mind that a server listening on localhost:9000 is started just before opening the login windows, and then shut down as soon as the authentication is over (either succeeded, cancelled or failed). Would it be possible that another application causes some sort of conflicts?

roikku

Quote Originally Posted by nanouk
Hi roikku,
in linux Ubuntu 13.10. The proper JRE8 is installed but when I run java -jar SwiftExplorer-1.0.1-jar-with-dependencies.jar it brings up the app but all I get is "failed to connect" and I am not even presented with a dialog to enter my connection details
TIA

nanouk
04-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi roikku,
I appreciate your undoubtedly hard work to bring us this tool. And I have renewed interest in using it since apparently it can upload big files now. Thanks again.
Now I have a problem making it work in linux Ubuntu 13.10. The proper JRE8 is installed but when I run java -jar SwiftExplorer-1.0.1-jar-with-dependencies.jar it brings up the app but all I get is "failed to connect" and I am not even presented with a dialog to enter my connection details as was the case in the previous version (which did not work either incidentally).
Works fine in a Windows XP virtualbox instance but I prefer to use it in my usual environment if I can. Any ideas as to why I can't get it to work?
TIA

vcasse
04-03-2014, 11:12 AM
@Vincent, I did not implement the convention of segments folder with an uuid, current version keep the object name. I am thinking to let the user choose which convention he/she prefers to use (via the GUI). How exactly OVH computes the uuid? Are the MD5 hash of the object used?
How exactly OVH computes the uuid ?
This is just an uuid generator but method is not important. We use uuid for some reasons :
- filename could have non-alphabetical characteres
- filename limit is 1024 chars but with openstack structure, this limit is smaller when you use small files.
- use filename are not optimal when you want rename this file. With uuid, you must only move manifest file to stay coherent.

But don't worry, your usage is compatible with our system

Regards,
Vincent

roikku
04-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Hi Everybody,

I apologize for not having yet replied to all the questions and requests that have accumulated throughout this thread (for which I am very grateful ). I have been kind of busy, and I focused my spare time in coding and testing the second version of Swift Explorer (1.0.1) that has been released today.

This new version has been much improved, and is available for download at www.swiftexplorer.org.
A short note on this release can be read in my blog.

In brief, among other things, the segmentation of large object should now be compatible with the other hubiC clients, and because the default size of the segments has been set at 100MB, many of the potential network issues caused by overly large segments should no longer be a threat
(this is, of course, by assuming that you do not change this size value back to a large one... indeed, the new interface provides you with a means of customising this value).

@Vincent, I did not implement the convention of segments folder with an uuid, current version keep the object name. I am thinking to let the user choose which convention he/she prefers to use (via the GUI). How exactly OVH computes the uuid? Are the MD5 hash of the object used?

@Poderr, the one-way sync is almost already there (it is not automated through a service, though). I mean, when a folder is uploaded, and "overwrite existing files" is checked, all the files that were already uploaded, but that have been modified, will be uploaded again (and thus will overwrite the ones on the remote storage). However, the files that are already present on the storage and that were not modified are not uploaded again, and simply ignored. This approach should work fine, unless a collision of the MD5 hash occurs... but it is quite reasonable to assume that such events won't happen

Cheers,
Loic

Rey
04-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by vcasse
@roikku Cool

@rey With method explain in this page, chunked file should be downloadable with officials clients.

Regards,
Vincent
Great! Any clue why Cyberduck doesn't use the same process? (5Mo chuncks and putting them in /.file-segments folder instead, with different naming)

vcasse
04-01-2014, 10:28 AM
@roikku Cool

@rey With method explain in this page, chunked file should be downloadable with officials clients.

Regards,
Vincent

Poderr
04-01-2014, 02:01 AM
First off, thanks, this shows a lot of potential.

1) Please change the name. You aren't going to hit the second page of Google with anything other than a shedload of SEO with "Swift Explorer", because you're competing with a type of boat, tracking Gamma Ray Bursts, an application for tracking birds, and a type of caravan (I think). You're building something awesome, and while it's a cool name, "swift explorite" (621 results) or "swift explorize" (4 results) might be a more pragmatic approach. "swifterize" is"swiftorize" only returns one result. "swiftyrize" only returns one result for the autoguessything of "swifty prize". It's a name, so it doesn't have to be a real word.

2)Is it possible to set one-way syncing, so that changes are automatically synced but are only propagated one way?

Rey
04-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Would be great if a chuncked file uploaded by your app is downloadable with hubic sync/webapp, and vice versa!

roikku
03-31-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the information. The next version, coming soon, will let the user choose the size of the segments, with a default size set at 100MB (I have actually observed the "keepalive timeout" problem with 3GB objects that were not segmented...).

Cheers,
Roikku

vcasse
03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Hi Roikku,

We use dynamic large object, so manifest file are empty with no weight. After, we follow the OpenStack Approach. We have just change the name convention of segments folder with an uuid. (But it's works if you don't use our convention).

One tip : use large object for file > 100 Mb. Indeed, file manipulation on big block are very long and can be cut by the internet connection (Keepalive timeout) and you will have many issues with theses files).

Regards,
Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your message and for the suggestion

How hubiC differs from the OpenStack approach to large objects?

Here is the OpenStack documentation on this matter: http://docs.openstack.org/api/openst...-creation.html

I am testing right now Swift Explorer with large objects (about 3 GB). But, until 5GB, the files will be uploaded as a single object. Only if the files exceed 5GB, they will be segmented, each segment will then be uploaded and stored together with a manifest.

Do you have some recommendations specific to hubiC? I would be delighted to hear about them

Cheers,
Roikku

jamesweech
03-29-2014, 02:35 PM
+1 for support for automaticly splitting and making it compatable with all the OVH clients & kudos for the app

Rey
03-29-2014, 12:25 PM
@roikku : OVH splits files above 100Mo I think. Your application may work with bigger ones without splitting, but it may be not compatible with sync client or web client (even if nothing works with web client...). Cyberduck has the same problem.

nanouk
03-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Nanouk,

Which version of the file did you use? I mean, one of the Windows installer, the Mac bundle or the jar file?
Or did you try to compile the application by yourself?

Cheers,
Roikku
Thanks for responding. I used the jar file on linux (ubuntu 13.10).

yves
03-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Thank you Roikku, I believed there was no possibility at all for x86 architectures, but I see the executable jar file works fine.

Only a detail, not a problem for me : to choose anglais or anglais (Etats-Unis), from all others aviable languages, drive me on french GUI (which was automatically and correctly set at the first launch).

roikku
03-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Hi Rey,

Thanks for the message

I am conducting some additional tests right now. But, as suggested by the preliminary tests (pre-release), it should not be a problem. Until 5GB, the files should be able to be uploaded as a single object (I guess). Larger-than-5GB files should be segmented and stored with a manifest.

One of the major problem for testing this area is my limited internet connection... Have to be patient...

Cheers,
Roikku

roikku
03-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Hi Nanouk,

Which version of the file did you use? I mean, one of the Windows installer, the Mac bundle or the jar file?
Or did you try to compile the application by yourself?

Cheers,
Roikku

roikku
03-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Hi Yves,

Sorry about that. I will prepare an installer for Windows x86. Give me a few days (I will do it at the beginning of next week).

Meanwhile, you can use the executable jar file, it should work on x86 architectures, provided that the adequate JRE 8 is installed.

Cheers,
Roikku

roikku
03-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your message and for the suggestion

How hubiC differs from the OpenStack approach to large objects?

Here is the OpenStack documentation on this matter: http://docs.openstack.org/api/openst...-creation.html

I am testing right now Swift Explorer with large objects (about 3 GB). But, until 5GB, the files will be uploaded as a single object. Only if the files exceed 5GB, they will be segmented, each segment will then be uploaded and stored together with a manifest.

Do you have some recommendations specific to hubiC? I would be delighted to hear about them

Cheers,
Roikku

yves
03-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Hi Roikku,
Hi everybody, and excuse me for bad english.

I haven't seen an "exe" or "msi" version for Windows x86, is it possible ?

Will it be, please, such a version in the future ?

Thanks.

nanouk
03-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Hi roikku,
I tried your promising app but got this error message after authenticating with the email and password that I know work with the hubic service and web interface :

Error 401 Unauthorized: You need to provide a valid username and password.

Any pointers to solve that issue?
TIA

vcasse
03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi roikku,

I have test you application last night. It's seems be cool
Just one amelioration idea : manage big files with segments usage. If you're ok, we could explain how works segments on hubic

Sincerely,
Vicent

Albert
03-27-2014, 11:13 PM
I will test your swift explorer. Its looks cool.
But ... your download file are ... on dropbox

Rey
03-27-2014, 06:08 PM
It looks great !! You did a good job!

Have you tested it with big (auto-chunked) files? Like over 2Go.

roikku
03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi,

I am not very sure about your problem, but bear in mind that the preview function of Swift Explorer is "just a preview", and is not very mature yet. Currently, only text files, jpeg and png files and some pdf files (provided that they are not encrypted) are supported.

Anyway, the preview is not really the priority, as it is not the main purpose of this tool. The main goal is to upload files and folders to, and download them from, the hubiC storage system.

The preview might be improved in the future, but it might very well be removed from the application. It will mostly depends on the needs of users.

Roikku

Ale0966
03-27-2014, 12:44 PM
Ho appena installato sul mio pc hubic.
Tutti i file che ho salvato sulla nuova cartella sono TUTTI ILLEGIBILI (anche i pdf)
Come posso risolvere il problema ?

I just installed on my pc hubic. All the files you've saved on the new folder are unreadable ALL (also pdf) How can I fix the problem?

roikku
03-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Hi Everybody,

I would like to introduce Swift Explorer, a user-friendly files browser that is being developed with hubiC in mind. It provides an efficient means of uploading and downloading files and directories.

The page dedicated to this project: http://www.swiftexplorer.org
(installers and executable jar file can be downloaded there)

Attachment 172Attachment 173

The code repository: https://github.com/roikku/swift-explorer

If you wish to get some new features or if you have any suggestions, please do not hesitate to use the issue tracker: https://github.com/roikku/swift-explorer/issues

This project is new (a few weeks old) and currently actively developed. Many new awesome features are already on the to-do list.

Cheers,
Roikku