We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

So long....

JMTamTam
02-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Just a french point of view.

The subject is not just technichal, You need to have legal data protection and today this is not the case in the States compare to a french or européen data cloud , the EU law is far more protective compare to the Us one and OVH is not under the Patriot Act ! and as far as I know OVH have no agreement with the NSA .
In the past i upload data (legal data) on the megaupload site ... then i had no problem for the instant deleting of my data , a Us court of justice irrespective of my rights décided to close the site with no advice , I had also images on the Kodak site and two days to recover the data ..
With the french law , informatique and liberté , you are protected against that sort of situation and you may ask OVH to clean your data from their server by legal action if necessary
http://www.cnil.fr/english/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Protection_Directive

Before uploading data with a wonderful client and quick speed , please verify the following
Where are located the server , india for exemple read the following
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...hieves-rakbank
Can the company move your data in an exotic country without your agreement ?(OVH can 't with regard to the french law)

Mister "So long" ,with your new cloud , Where your data will be located ? under which law? If you have a financial dammage by theft of loss of your data , how will you claim ?

Regards

adele
02-19-2014, 11:04 AM
We are working on solving the issue ASAP, we heard you! As soon as we have update, we will let you know through the post

rasteps
02-19-2014, 04:22 AM
That's good advice.

OderWat
02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Well I wanna wait for this to clear before judgement on raw UL/DL Speed: http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=6361 ... But yes... if the speed is constant low the TB of cheap storage are becoming useless. Like I had to cancel bitcasa and let me give a refund because they simply could not get a non data destroying client for me and believe me. I helped them debugging and actually know a lot myself and usually be patient with "startups".

rasteps
02-18-2014, 06:20 AM
If it's a bug, it's a crippling bug for this business model. Their goal is to get people to sign up for 50 gigs and stay for 1 terabytes, but it just took over 6 minutes before "operation in progress" ended on the upload of one 16 mb file. Now that might have something to do with the cleaning up of file names and data block management that OderWat was talking about, but if I close the window or lose my connection at any point while "operation" is "in progress", I've got to start all over from the beginning. The other cloud service I'm using at the moment handled two 180 mb files in less than 3 minutes.

Saya
02-17-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't think they are aiming for just Europe, but it makes sense that their service is better in Europe than elsewhere since that is where they are based/started.
If it's slow out of Europe then it is a "bug".

rasteps
02-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Hmm... I was under the impression that hubic was trying to serve more than just Europe, but if being outside the EU means that my upload/download speed is going to be limited to 86 k/s then I'm pretty sure that I'll have to head to the door like Seath did. It's disappointing but if that's the business model, there's really no sense in wasting my time. But thanks for your explanations.

OderWat
02-17-2014, 10:01 AM
As Saya says... "RAW" UL/DL speeds are not related but ... well if you upload or download a lot of single small files it is somewhat related. That also depends on the concurrency.

Many OpenStack clients work on multiple connections at once (like a Webbrowser does too). So if they use 5 connections they can d/l 5 files at once, which will decrease the time to get them all (for various reasons). That is what they do for uploads (you can see it in the sync window) so I guess they also do it for downloads.

Rating the networks speed I am pretty ok with OVH. Sitting in germany and using mostly high speed networks from datacenters to connect to hubic the service is pretty useable.

Saya
02-17-2014, 08:28 AM
rasteps: Uploading and downloading shouldn't be slow. Only renaming and deleting folders.
Where are you from?

I know that OVH has a really good network in europe, don't know about elsewhere.

rasteps
02-17-2014, 05:50 AM
OderWatt, are you saying that because of Hubic's implementation of OpenStack, file processing is necessarily slow? And if that's the case, does it explain why uploading and downloading is so painfully slow?

OderWat
02-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Well I do not know whats the problem in the french section but I can say something to your problems:

1. The Mac Client was recently updated but still is "limited".
2. Deleting a lot of files is "expensive" for the API because the backend deletes every object (file) in a separate request in that case. This gets speed up by using multiple "threads" but still lasts some time.

Actually deletion of all files in your account would only last some seconds if it would be done by deleting the container in the backend! So deleting everything would be much much faster. I think they just did not implement it in that way for "mark everything -> select delete".

Offering 10 TB storage with an OpenStack Swift compatible API for this price is... priceless!

But I fear they will get into trouble just because of how they choose to implement their desktop clients!

Storing a file in the storage does create an object in the default container (seen from swift). This means: Even a 1 Byte file is an object in the storage. That is fine an brings cool features like using metadata and storage links accessible from http. Even tagging/ACL, versioning and cross container syncing is an option there.

But it also has some major drawbacks:

First of all, every operation needs a single request to the storage servers. This means a lot of burden on these servers!
Second there may be hundreds of thousands of files on a normal hard-drive and when people sync them they become as much objects in one single storage container at the swift backend!

Just to list single files you have to do some work yourself. You can "prefix" and "delimit" object paths. Still there is a lot going on as again, any operation has to connect to the servers. Think of all your files in one folder on the hard-drive and instead of a subfolder you delimit it with some charakter. roodir_subdir1_subdir2_file. This brings some long object names and a lot of them for extensive used sync folders.

I guess this is the reason why other implementations choose to store and or transmit those data in blocks of some megabyte and keep their own system of hierarchy and metadata information.

Also I experienced that the client is not very "smart" about stuff. If you sync 1000 files and while they upload delete the folder it still tries every single file. And it is kinda slow in between every single one. I am not sure if they use multiple threads on delete either. But stuff like that can be fixed. This is to be expected from software which still is in development.

HubiC is maybe not ready for prime-time. The mac client has a lot to desire. But it got so much better with the last update!

That does not mean that HubiC is "lost" but I guess there either needs to be a dramatic improvement in how the OpenStack storage works/is implemented or they need to speed up their clients with more "tricks of the trade".

I successfully synced multiple thousand files and stored a lot of data in different containers already. For me the system works and pays out easily.

Just my opinion...

Seath
02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
You know I wasn't going to post anything, I was just going to close my account and go my way, but after spending over an hour and half deleting my files from hubiC servers,,,,,

The reason I decided to close my account with hubiC is that I spent some times reading the french section of this forum I used Bing translator HA! I discovered that dis company is not taking care of their customers whatsoever! HubiC system has so many problems that I can't nor won't trust them with my data. I encourage everybody to read out and translate this forum posts.

Anyway....
I uploaded 130MB of data what was about 8000 files, that is about 0.10 % of what I need to have in the cloud. After I decided to close my account I deleted the app from my computer and started to delete the files online. It took over an hour and half!! That is sooooooo completely utterly unacceptable! ! I can't even imagine how many days it will took to delete the 10000's files I need to have online!

I am sorry but this is bad company! My opinion only!